Search Link

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sabahan Youths Trapped!

Call them unlucky!
Call them naive!
Call them notoriuous loose youngsters!

Whatever you like to put the blame on them! The reality is our Sabahan Youths are suffering. A journey to the unknown, faraway lands in search of a greener pastures, waves of goodbyes from their aging parents, wishes of good lucks, bitter separation. All swallowed with hope of a better future.

The malay adage "Hujan Emas di Negeri Orang, Hujan Batu di Negeri Sendiri, Lebih baik di Negeri Sendiri" is true to majority of these sabahan youngsters. But what can they do? Long endured suffering, lack of employment opportunities in Sabah have propelled them into making headlong decision, to try their luck in Singapore and Peninsula Malaysia.

Little did they know that some greedy recruitment agencies are there just for the headcount money. Whatever happen when they get to Singapore are totally ignored.

It's so sad really. In Kuala Lumpur, I saw their difficulties with my own eyes. Just to give you one example. My friend is working in an illegal gambling shop. The place where personal computers are turned into Jackpot betting machines. In the same shop, there are six others Sabahans, all boys.

My friends has a wife and they live together in one room on top of the shop. No partition, just one big room to accomodate seven boys and one girl. No mattress, just mats.

Constantly in fear of being raided by the authority. The worst part is recently she delivered a baby girl and still live together in that same room with all the others. With all the difficulties of baby care, not to mention the noise from late night tantrums, I wonder how they can survive the ordeal.

That is what I saw. I believe many others are living in misery in Kuala Lumpur alone. When i asked "why not go home?, Balik Sabah!", majority of them answered they wanted to prove something to their family at home. They fear of being mocked by the villagers who saw them left with great hope.

Well in that respect, I agree with them. These uncle, aunty in Kampung ahhh... sometimes being unreasonable. Some of them look down on farmers. The mentality is that working as Government Officer "Pegawai" is very highly regarded, compared to being a rubber tapper "putung gatah".

As for me I tried to help in any way I can. If I see someone in difficulties, I will lend a hand. And I hope everyone of you will do the same.

Find more here http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=58718

No comments: